[sw-l] document idiosyncratic gestures

Sat Oct 16 00:19:27 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 15, 2004

Romy Spitz wrote:
> By way of introduction, I am a novice signwriter, mostly using it to
> document idiosyncratic gestures (homesigns) that deaf/hoh and hearing
> nonverbal clients with developmental disabilities or linguistic
> isolation have and use for their sole communication mode.  That way at
> least someone can tell the Deaf interpreter or the educaitonal team
> the person's "sign" for their workplace, dog, mom, soda, etc.  But
> that's not why I am writing today.

Hello Everyone, and Romy!
What an interesting use for SignWriting, Romy...it is great to know
that SignWriting is helping in that way...

Are you still at the University of Kansas? I believe we were in touch
back in 1998...perhaps regarding the SignWriting Literacy Project?...it
has been so long and my memory escapes me...But I found your name in
our records, writing in 1998...smile...

Thanks for sharing with us -