[sw-l] Sign Variants via SWML

rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Mon Oct 18 13:16:07 UTC 2004

Dear Sandy,

  Thanks a lot for the message! Very interesting ideas!

  First, let me clarify: sign-boxes and cells, as you mentioned, are
concepts regarding different issues, the first concerns the rendering of
the sign itself, the second concerns formatting issues. So, conceptually
each should have its own position information, sign-boxes being
positioned inside cells, and cells inside lines (or pages). In SW-Edit,
since we allow only one sign-box per cell, we fused their position
information. But you are right, they are conceptually distinct.

  "Flop" is the word Valerie and Rich Gleaves used to refer to the
mirroring of symbols. In SignWriter, there are only flops regarding the
vertical (y) axis. In SW-Edit, since we were not able to put a rotation
button in the current version of the program, we were forced to
introduce the flop regarding the horizontal (x) axis, so all symbol
rotations could be produced by combining vertical and horizontal flops
(using the right button of the mouse over the selected symbol).

  Now, with respect to your very interesting idea of variants. It made me
realize that we can think of various kinds of variants:

  1) variants of complementary symbol features, like variation, fill,
rotation and position (the offset variant idea is perfect!)

  2) variants at essential symbol features, like category, group and
symbol id, which amount really to the use of different symbols for the
same sign (e.g., different face expressions for different uses of the
sign)

  3) variants at the sign level, where different signs are to be
considered variants of one another

  I was more concerned with variants of kind 3, when I suggested levels of
conceptualization for SWML. Also, I was thinking of information like the
one you suggested (ranges of variations) which I still think should be
kept separated from the level where SWML describes the visual
organization of the signs, because such variants and information are
more of a linguistic kind, not essentially concerned with writing
issues.

  But now you introduced a very interesting new idea, variants at the
level of the written organization of the signs. That's great!

  Variants of kind 1, as you mentioned, are certainly of that kind.
Variants of kind 2 have to be examined in more detail. Perhaps they
should be merged with variants of kind 3, as variants concerned with
linguistic features of the signs, not with writing issues.

  The introduction of variants of kind 1 will certainly place additional
complications in the rendering producedure of signs, but your examples
convinced me that those variants are worth being supported in rich sign
databases (dictionaries).

  All the best,

  Antônio Carlos