[sw-l] Guidelines for Dictionary Editors ;-)

Mon Oct 18 20:54:40 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 18, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> Can others add to the ASL list for your editors to look at.  I have
> permission to do some of the Rochester Technical Manuals, but I don't
> want to add unless I have your editors look at the interim products.

Hello Everyone, Editors, and Charles -
Anyone can add signs to a Sign Puddle dictionary. They do not have to
be an Editor to add signs...

But Editors can do other things...like rename signs, delete signs etc...

So feel free to add those signs, Charles. The Tech Signs Manuals are
not a problem...they have excellent signs that are used in the United
States! And their books use SignWriting, so there is a connection with
our history. So go right ahead and add them.

The one thing that concerns me slightly is keeping the dictionary
usable for parents and children, and it may be that some of the sexual
signs may be difficult in an online dictionary...but that has nothing
to do with NTID's Tech Signs manuals...those signs are fine....

So I do have a question for everyone...Should there be some guidelines
for Editors, or should we leave it to each country to make their own
decisions as to how editing is done?

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org