[sw-l] ASL Maybe

Tue Oct 19 18:03:56 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 19, 2004

Dear SW List and Stuart -
Thanks for your question...

Regarding the Alternating Movement...Both are correct. The double
curved symbol that represents Alternating was invented much later.
Before that symbol came into the system, we had a rule: When there are
multiple arrows like that, you read the symbols from the Center-out. So
the right and left movements closest to the center are read first, and
then the ones on the outside second...so the alternating was written
into the writing system by that rule...but you are welcome to also add
the Alternating double curves too, if you wish...it is just reinforcing
the same information...

Regarding the Mirror Key not working...it is possible that is my
fault...an error...in the IMWA symbols...I noticed a few errors like
that myself, so in November and December I plan to work on fixing those
-

Thanks for your feedback!  Val ;-)