[sw-l] obscenities, etc.

Wed Oct 20 02:24:53 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 19, 2004

Dear SW List Members...Jerry, Dan, Tini and everyone -
Everyone has made excellent points. Thank you for caring. Do not worry
about this issue. I think right now, the best thing to do is to start
adding signs. We only have around 3200 signs in the ASL dictionary
online at the moment...that is barely enough to have a basic
conversation! So rather than talking about our entries, let's enter
signs...lots of them...and then later we can have a meeting of the
Editors and we can choose together, how to handle it.

When we publish printed dictionaries in SignWriting, then the
linguistic issues that have been brought up can be included...When we
are doing an online dictionary, the first to be blamed will be me,
because I am the webmaster of the SignBank site that houses all the
dictionaries.

If someone writes to me to complain about a particular entry, I will
deal with it at that time - And I am happy to do that, as I feel
honored that so many people are choosing to write signs with
SignWriting...

We are very lucky to have this opportunity, which would not exist
without Stephen Slevinski's generosity, and great software...so we are
blessed!

Maybe this is the turning point. Tell your friends about the Sign
Puddle online dictionaries...maybe finally signers will see that they
can write their language...I hope so!