[sw-l] Leaving out the * symbol - was BSL Reading Test :)

Signuno signuno at YAHOO.FR
Wed Oct 20 08:31:27 UTC 2004

 --- Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> a écrit
:

> But contacts are usually only small, easy to write
> symbols - I was wondering
> if it was posible to go further and remove all
> contact and movement
> altogether, and just leave the head and handshape to
> express the sign.

I am doing just that for almost all my Signuno signs
(where glosses will correspond to roots not words).
For me an absence of contact sign means "very light
flowing touch" (whereas adding a * would mean weakly
emphatic touch with mini-pause to mean noun-singular).
 Maybe omitting the contact sign is okay for some sign
languages (for Signuno it feels right - adding those
*'s feels too busy).

regards,