[sw-l] How To Type Different Languages in SignPuddle

Thu Oct 21 22:25:53 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 21, 2004

How To Type Spoken Languages with Accents...

Did you know that you can also stay within your language, and still
type the accents from other languages, without changing keyboards? This
technique, takes a little knowledge, but you can get used to it...and
it works.

If you are on an American English keyboard, and you want to type a U
with two dots over it, like they use in German, called an Umlaut...you
can change to the German keyboard, or....stay in the American keyboard
and do this keystroke:

1. Alt-u  ......(that is the alt key held down at the same time as you
tap on the u key)
2. u .............(just the u key without the Alt key)

So Alt-u and then u, gives you an umlaut over u, like this ü

On the Mac, do the exact same thing..... The Option Key on the Mac is
the same as the Alt Key on Windows.

Let's try an accent on the e....

1. Alt-e
2. e

and you get é

What about the Danish symbols? Those are slightly different...

1. Alt-a gives you å

2. Alt-' gives you æ

and so forth...there is a Multilingual 870 numbering system I believe
and if you have that chart you can enter any symbol with the Alt key
plus an ID number for the symbol and you can get all the European
symbols (western Europe)....without changing keyboards or
countries...Anyone want that chart? I can post it if you wish...