[sw-l] Black book and the IMWA ;-)

Sat Oct 23 21:19:09 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 23, 2004

Dear SW List, and Sandy!

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> I really don't feel qualified to suggest a subject for a dissertation,
> but
> since we seem to have been prodded...  :)
>
> One thing that would progress SW in BSL would be for someone to define
> which
> IMWA symbols are required for expressing BSL. The Black Book (the big
> BSL-English dead tree dictionary) could act as a springboard for this,
> since
> it lists all the handshapes that they needed to express thwir signs. I
> think
> it's then a matter of researching which signs are missing from the
> IMWA,
> which are missing from the Black Book, and which can be represented by
> simpler versions available in the IMWA.

Thank you, Sandy!

The big Black Book sounds unique....That is an interesting research
project ...one unique to the UK which I could never have known...

I am not qualified to suggest dissertations either, really. I guess it
is up the universities, but I was asked for ideas anyway...so this is a
help to me...

Regarding the IMWA, I hope to be adding more symbols to it, in the next
few months, and I know you already have given me a few hands...I never
finished looking at the fan hands that you posted...one of them
exists...the one with the bent fingers, but the one with the straight
does not, I believe, so I will add that - thanks for telling me about
it -