[sw-l] SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database

Tue Oct 26 17:29:25 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 26, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> Val, you won't really be able to have any control over colours. One day
> someone will write a sign processor with the sort of flexibility
> available
> in Word, OpenOffice, AbiWord and other state-of-the-art word
> processors, ie,
> the user will be able to choose the colour of text (IMWA symbols) he
> wants.
>
> All I'm suggesting is that he could choose his own colours for
> different
> layers, which could be garish contrasts or subtle shading.
>
> He could also chose to have the subtle hairline around the upper
> shapes,
> either instead of or as well as different colours, if that's what he
> wants.
> He would probably also be allowed to choose the thickness of this line
> for
> himself. Also whether the symbols shouls be opaque or transparent - the
> programmer, not the IMWA, does it all.

THANK YOU, Sandy, for these comments and good advice about backing up
our files!!

I am a fanatic back-uper...to the point where I go overboard....What is
so wonderful is that people are using these symbolsets in their
programming, so at least we know others have copies too!!

Colored symbols had actually been a part of the original design I had
planned on, for SignWriter Java, back in 1996 when we started the job
of transferring the DOS program to Java. But the program could not just
be transferred or ported over to Java..there was one problem after the
other because Java at that time at least was not a direct port at
all...so the ideas of colored symbols had to be scrapped at that
time...such is life! If you want to see what my plan was, you can see
it in the attached, showing my desire for colored symbols and colored
signs...this was written in a report on the web in 1999...

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/progress/prog011.html