[sw-l] SignPuddle

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 8 09:47:47 UTC 2004

Hi Stephen!

Well, no problems putting in the sign for Wales this time!

I notice that with just a little hacki... er... experimentation, it's
possible to display a sign from a SignPuddle dictionary directly on any
webpage (see attached HTML, which takes the graphic directly from your
server).

This would be a very easy way to build webpages with SignWriting without
having to extract and store the images on my own sever, but would this sort
of behaviour be acceptable to you, considering the load it would put on your
server? It might be quite a heavy load if people start using the Puddle
dictionaries to compose whole texts on their websites!

If not, then how would you recommend webmasters to program their sites to
display Puddle dictionary entries? Would it be best to just copy them onto
our own servers for our own use? Or is there a way to use SWML-S for this
purpose at the time of writing?

It has advantages and disadvantages - when signs are improved by editors
they'd be automatically improved on all websites using them, but if a sign
was deleted or renamed it would cause a broken image!

Anyway, thanks for the Puddle dictionaries and interface - it's great stuff
and saves the rest of us lots of hard labour!

Sandy