[sw-l] Deaf Education Research...Suggestion 2

Fri Oct 8 20:10:14 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 8, 2004

>> Mohamed Mahmod wrote:
>> In the next weeks I will prepare a proposal for Ph project and I
>> like  to make about the effect of SW on   one of the following
>> -a Deaf self concept
>>  -b Deaf school achievement
>>  -c Deaf motivation
>>  -d Deaf creative thinking
>> I wish any feedback or advise before I start .

Hello Everyone, and Mohamed and Stuart -
Stuart is correct about recommending Cecilia Flood's dissertation,
because Cecilia's study specifically focused on how Deaf students feel
about themselves, and their language, when they use SignWriting in the
classroom. So Cecilia was also interested in your questions,
Mohamed...For example...

1. How do Deaf children see themselves?
2. Do they feel better about themselves, when they use SignWriting?
3. Are they more motivated to learn to read and write spoken languages,
because of SignWriting?
4. Does SignWriting stimulate their creativity?

Cecilia's study had very positive results...

Cecilia's dissertation has been published. First, you can download one
chapter from her dissertation on our web site right now. All three
documents on this web page might be of interest:

http://signwriting.org/archive/thumbnails/00022.html

Second, you can order a printed copy of the entire dissertation. I have
one copy here, if you have any problems getting it. I will give you the
ordering information in the next message...