[sw-l] BELGIUM: New SW Literacy Project and new web area...

Wed Oct 13 17:18:25 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 13, 2004

Web Report #1
For Participating Teachers

1. Why do you want to learn SignWriting?

SignWriting is the written form of SignLanguage. We want to teach the
children the difference between the two languages they live with,
Flemish Signlanguage(FSL) and Dutch (written or spoken). If we want to
teach the children FSL we would want to write it down, it would be a
mistake to write it in Dutch but with the grammar of FSL. SignWriting
is also very visual, for ex: if you want to actually show the children
the difference between two sign. They can mark it on the board!

2. What have been some of your past frustrations when teaching?

Not being able to have something on paper about FSL. The children
forgot what I told them about FSL because they had no means of
remembering, like writing it down. The children didn’t really think FSL
was a full language because they where always given Dutch, in books and
on paper.

3. Are you hoping that SignWriting might help? If so, in what way?

I hope it will make the children realise FSL is as good as Dutch, it
has the same components and difficulties. It is a FULL language, that
is unique and beautiful.

4. The SignWriting Teacher's Forum has a free web page for you and your
students, to use in anyway you wish, just as long as it relates to
SignWriting. For example, you can post your opinions about SignWriting,
or you can post student's writing assignments. How would you like to
use your web page?

I hope to use the site together with the children to show that they or
not the only deaf children who use SignWriting. I would like to send in
some of there assignments because I saw on the site that there is no
information on the Belgium hyper-link for SignWriting. Seeing it is
being used in Belgium, Flanders, I would like to see it on the
internet, to inform other teachers in Belgium.

5. Please write any other information about your group that you would
like to share. You are welcome to write as much as you wish! Human
interest stories will help us get to know you. It will make following
your progress with SignWriting that much more exciting!

I have used SignWriting for one year last year with my younger pupils.
I work in a bi-lingual school in Brussels, the children use Flemish
SignLanguage and learn Dutch as a second language. We used to just sign
away without teaching the grammar of FSL. When I first started lessons
in FSL grammar I wanted to write something down and didn’t know how. A
friend of mine told me about SignWriting and I started using it. I
found it to be of great value. The children love it and learn it very
easy.
Sara and I are the two teachers who work with SignWriting in the
classroom, some of the other teachers use it to but never in full
sentences, only single signs/words.
Sara is a deaf teacher in our school who is an assistant at the moment
but is planning to get a degree in teaching for primary school. I
(Kathleen) am a hearing teacher who uses FSL fluently and is active in
the Flemish Deaf community.

Valerie Sutton and the Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting have my
full permission to post this report to the SignWriting Email List, and
on the SignWriting Web Site.

Name Teacher: Kathleen Heylen, Sara Geudens
Name of School:  Kasterlinden
Address: Dilbeekstraat 1, 1082, Sint-Agatha-Berchem, Belgium
Email: kathjeleen at hotmail.com