[sw-l] SignWriting Handwriting and Shorthand

Sun Oct 17 17:51:09 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 17, 2004

Dear SW List, Sandy and Stefan!
Thank you both for your excellent input, and I am happy to know that
you are writing by hand! And Stefan - this is great news that you are
encouraging writing by hand in the classroom...

Or course you both will be included in any work we do on the
handwriting in the future...No one's work will be excluded. It might be
a good idea to scan some of the handwriting from your students, into
computer files, so we can use those scans as a reference tool, as to
the styles of writing that students have chosen...such an Archive of
Handwritten Documents could be useful later, when trying to formulate a
new book on the subject of SignWriting Handwriting...

Meanwhile...you all know me...the day I was born I said to the world:
"I have too many projects, but let's add ten more!"....smile...it must
be genetic - ha!!

Anyway, the IMWA is my most important task for the end of the year...I
want to add the facial expression combination symbols, for example,
Stefan's work with Mundbildschrift created standard combinations of
facial expression symbols and those symbols can become symbols in their
own right, in the IMWA...I need to do that for movement symbols
too...movement combination symbols are needed....plus add the gesture
and mime symbols...so that is my year 2004...

But handwriting in 2005 is a possibility...and meanwhile...just keep
writing and recording how you are writing and in the long run, it will
all become standard despite all of us...It is just a matter of use over
time...

I will tell you when I get the old Shorthand book scanned and on the
web -

many blessings -

Val ;-)