[sw-l] Nicaraguan Sign Language

Mon Oct 18 22:43:23 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 18, 2004

James Shepard-Kegl wrote:
> Sexual signs are a vital part of language and apply to human activity.
>  For
> example, imagine translating an AIDS awareness manual into a sign
> language
> without using appropriate signs.  Profanity arguably has no redeeming
> social
> virtue, but signs relating to human sexuality are generally worth
> knowing
> and certainly belong in any respectable dictionary.

Hello James!
I agree, of course, but sometimes parents of young children are
frightened of the internet because of all the bad stories they have
heard.

So we are talking about the issues of the internet...SignPuddle
dictionaries are only on the web, and are not printed dictionaries.
They are open to the public...

Have you ever used a Sign Puddle dictionary on the web, James? Go to:

http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

and click on a country flag and then search the dictionaries online...

And as you know, I invited you to be an Editor of the Nicaraguan Sign
Language dictionary earlier today...As soon as you have signed on as an
Editor, then I will create the flag-icon for Nicaragua...and you will
have endless fun on the web creating all kinds of signs and adding them
to your dictionary!