[sw-l] Guidelines for Dictionary Editors ;-)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 19 13:09:35 UTC 2004

I would agree here, and the publishers of "Signs of Sexual Behavior" put out by Rochester Institute of Technology agree.  It is sometimes very difficult to get sexually related signs, particularly dealing with "private" human functions, though interestingly enough, the very fact is well known that, at least in the U.S., the Deaf are much less "squeamish" about being blunt about sexual behavior and body parts than the hearing "Victorian era" society .

"James Shepard-Kegl, Esq." <kegl at MAINE.RR.COM> wrote:
Sexual signs are a vital part of language and apply to human activity. For
example, imagine translating an AIDS awareness manual into a sign language
without using appropriate signs. Profanity arguably has no redeeming social
virtue, but signs relating to human sexuality are generally worth knowing
and certainly belong in any respectable dictionary.

-- James Shepard-Kegl