[sw-l] How To Type Different Languages in SignPuddle

Thu Oct 21 21:43:28 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 21, 2004

How To Type Spoken Languages with Accents and Other Characters
When Adding Signs to the SignPuddle Dictionaries...

I will teach how to do this with

1. Mac OS X
2. Mac OS 9
3. Windows XP
4. Windows 98....

---------------------

Mac OS X, Panther (10.3)

1. Go to System Preferences
2. Click on International
3. Click on Input Menu
4. You can choose from hundreds of languages, including Far Eastern
languages such as several Chinese languages, Estonian, Korean, Polish,
Russian, Arabic and Unicode based keyboards including Turkish, Unicode
Hex Input etc...the list is so long that it is stunning!

Choose as many keyboards as you wish. When you are done, the keyboard
choices appear in a menu bar at the top of your desktop. I switch
between Danish, US English, and Spanish keyboards daily...When I switch
to Spain...my keyboard suddenly types the way they do in Spain...I used
to live in Denmark, and the Danish keyboard is accurate...Just remember
to switch back to the US keyboard, when you are not typing those other
languages, because all of a sudden the keys are not in the same place,
so sometimes I forget to switch back to English, and suddenly I realize
that the exclamation point, or the question mark, is not showing up,
and then I realize I am still in Spain - smile...Please see attached
screen capture of the Mac Input Menu choices....