[sw-l] BSL Reading Test :)

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Oct 22 06:03:11 UTC 2004

Morning, Stefan!

> Please do me the favour and write down this set of signs (only 10 - smile)
> by hand with all the necessary detailed symbol set that is needed

Here you are then!

> So again - it is not a question of speed - from my point of view
> and believe
> me- if both of us would write at the blackboard your ten signs - with and
> without the additional symbols - time would not be the questions - ha
> definitely not since it would cause only seconds to finish the
> same job but
> with much more information -

Yes, I see your point. There's a rule in Teeline Shorthand that you
shouldn't normally bother to write the vowels except at the beginning and
end of a word. You could apply this tule in ordinary longhand spelling but
people prefer to have the whole word even if it takes more time and space.

Now that I've gone through various SW handwriting ideas I'm inclined to
think that the main thing is to be able to write cursively.

As far as missing things out goes, it seems to me that there's a general
agreement that:

   -   in a long (four-syllable) sign you should try to avoid writing the
final movement (Val);
   -   handshape and position changes in a sign can usually be indicated
just with the movement symbols (Charles);
   -   contact symbols can be omitted if the touch is light and suggested by
the relative positions of the symbols (Signuno).

I find myself more and more writing movement symbols against other movement
symbols to show that the movements are simultaneous (see for example signs 1
and 10 of attachment). This is because if I apply the second movement symbol
to the handshape I worry that the reader might think the movements should be
executed one ater the other. Is this a good thing or am I missing more
advanced movement symbols that can express both kinds of movement as one
symbol?

Sandy