[sw-l] Charles: You can type Portuguese accents...

Fri Oct 22 16:58:02 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 22, 2004

Charles Butler wrote:
> Tried your method, and it works for Mac but not for within my email
> provider (yahoo) in English, and I don't have the right at work to do
> it.  I can work around it in Word, so it's not too bad.

I am glad you have a method that is working for you, Charles. But just
to clarify about the keystrokes and Language Bar...

Setting your computer up to have a Language Bar, would be changing your
computer. So forget that. But using the Dead Keystrokes, will not
change anyone's computer! It is built into the operating systems of the
computers...

Those keystrokes are called typing "Dead Keys"...because the first
keystroke seems to be dead, in the sense that there doesn't seem to be
any response, but when you type the second key, the accent appears on
the symbol...

I will find the keystrokes for you, for Windows 98 and Windows XP and
get back to you...We can create a directory of Keystrokes for the
different operating systems, in case you get tired of pasting from
Word!

There is even a way to type ID numbers of rare symbols, and they will
appear in your documents...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org