[sw-l] SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database

rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Sat Oct 23 00:45:44 UTC 2004

Sandy,

  Now you are right! There is no z-data (layer information) in SWML (yet,
at least :-)

  The original SWML format was modeled after the internal representation
of signs in the SignWriter program, and that information was not present
there
either.

  That is, SignWriter had its own internal way of dealing with the z-data,
that was not refleted in the files that stored the texts and
dictionaries.

  It was clear from the begining that this was an issue that had to be
solved, but I decided (maybe wrongly) to follow the same track and assumed
that each application would deal with layers in its own way.

  The option was, at least, consistent with the SignWriter program,
because in SignWriter the symbols are transparent, so the z-data are not
present visually.

  But I had not noticed, until now that you mentioned it, the discrepancy
between SignWriter and the manual.

  Perhaps we should ask Valerie to think about the issue and let her
choose the best way (if symbols should be transparent or not), and then
decide if the z-data are important for SWML.

  All the best,

  Antônio Carlos