[sw-l] Positioning on the Body

Tue Sep 7 14:51:29 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 7, 2004

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> I'm trying to write the sign for "Caesarian birth", but I need to know
> how
> to position the signs (for 'incision' and 'born') in such a way as to
> show
> that these are on the stomach rather than the more usual positioning
> for
> 'born'.

Hello Sandy, and Everyone!
This is a good topic. How do we write signs that relate to the torso,
or contact the chest, or stomach, or lower area above the hips?

WRITING SIGNS RELATING TO THE TORSO
The torso is written with BOTH the Shoulder Line and Hip Line. Then
contact stars or movement symbols give the reader a feeling for the
exact location on the torso. Here are some examples. In the attached
diagram, the sign is making a complete circle over the whole torso
area...(more examples coming next message...)