[sw-l] British Sign Language Flag in SignPuddle

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Sep 8 19:50:08 UTC 2004

And in the Philipines and to some extent in some other countries I
believe. This is where sign languages don't always follow country lines.

The opposite quandry, I suppose, is where you have multiple sign
languages in a country such as Spain, India, and others.  Even Canada
fits in both categories where it uses ASL and LSQ.

The exceptions certainly make life interesting. I believe Valerie went
with the flag idea so that we wouldn't have a continuation of the
acronym debate ... such as ... Is BSL British Sign Language or Brazilian
Sign Language?  Or should we use UKSL ... or LSB for Brazil ... or
..........Should Argentine Sign Language be ASL or LSA or LAS .....

By using the flags, we might have some idea of its affiliation without
getting into the acronym thing.  But there are still these challenges.
Ah, well!

What's life without some controversy to keep things lively, eh? ;-)

Stuart