[sw-l] Re: signing for preschool

Fri Sep 17 15:10:55 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 17, 2004

Judy Butler wrote:
> I am a preschool teacher in a Head Start classroom and would like to
> teach my children some simple signs to go along with the songs we
> sing.  I would also like to have these used in a print rich
> enviornment.  Is there software that would let me type in the words to
> the song or finger play and then display the sign in print.  I have
> Boardmaker and can type in a song and it will add the boardmaker
> symbol above the word.  I had hoped to also be able to do this with
> signs for some of the lessons.  I would appreciate any help that you
> might be able to give me.  You can e-mail me at lbutler5 at cinci.rr.com
> Thanks again
> Judy Butler

Hello Judy!
Yes. There are several ways to type signs for your students. You can
download free software. Go to:

SignWriting Software Downloads
http://www.SignWriting.org/downloads

...and choose from a variety of downloads....

SignWriter DOS, if you can run DOS, is a typewriter for signs, with
words and fingerspelling. However, SignWriter DOS only runs on Windows
95, 98, 98se and ME.

SignBank is a dictionary database, where you can search for signs and
then print vocabulary lists with signs and words and
illustrations....If you want to use SignBank, download the SignBank
Runtime.

or...

If you want to type words, and then get signs, use the SignWriting
Translation program on the web:

Translate English Words to American Signs
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/SGN-US

You can also send email in SignWriting...

I hope this helps!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org