[sw-l] British Sign Language Flag in SignPuddle

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Sep 8 20:51:06 UTC 2004

THanks, Charles, these are very interesting - essentially correct, I think,
though a little misleading in places. I don't think there are "different
sign languages which are inherently unintelligible" though it's true that 50
miles is enough for dialectical differences to cause slight problems.
Perhaps it's mainly learners who find real difficulty with this.

I think the worst bit is "Irish Sign Language is a new unified system, a
manual code for English". Surely it's not a manual code for English!

Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Charles Butler
Sent: 08 September 2004 21:14
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: RE: [sw-l] British Sign Language Flag in SignPuddle

Discussion on Irish Sign Language - from Ethnologue:

In 1816 British signs were brought in. In 1846 Irish signs developed in the
girls' school, in 1857 Irish signs brought into the boys' school. Related to
French Sign Language. There are informal male and female sign systems.
Females learn the male system during dating and marriage. The informal
system is referred to as 'Deaf Sign Language'. Irish Sign Language is a new
unified system, a manual code for English. It has structural features such
as directional verbs. It has influenced sign languages in South Africa and
Australia. It originated between 1846-1849. Several deaf schools with 750 to
800 students in each. There is a committee on national sign language, and an
organization for sign language teachers. TV.

Discussion on British Sign Language - from Ethnologue (apparently BSL is
also used in Northern Ireland while Eire (Ireland) uses Irish Sign Language.

RegionUnited Kingdom including Northern Ireland, Scotland.
Alternate names  BSL
ClassificationDeaf sign language.
CommentsNot inherently intelligible to users of ASL. The deaf community is
cohesive, so communication is good despite regional differences. However,
there are many reports of different sign languages which are inherently
unintelligible to users as close as approximately every 50 miles. Good
regional and national organizations for the deaf. Signed interpretation is
required in court, and provided in some other situations. Sign language
instruction for parents of deaf children. Many sign language classes for
hearing people. There is an organization for sign language teachers. There
is a committee on national sign language. Sign language was used before
1644. Deaf schools were established in the late 18th century. There is
increasing desire to train deaf children in BSL. British Signed English is
different from American Signed English. Dictionary. Grammar. Films, TV,
videos.

Trevor Jenkins <trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM> wrote:
On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Sandy Fleming wrote:

> It should be the Union Jack since, unlike English, BSL is indigenous to
the
> whole of the UK.

You sure about that? North Ireland (a constituent part of the UK) surely
uses IRL.

> Sandy

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!