[sw-l] Re: Country and Language Codes, and standardization with ISO

Tue Sep 28 20:45:59 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 28, 2004

Hello Charles -
Actually there is a whole system setup to code the different signed
languages within one country. We would never use the term ASL, because
that is not an ISO code, since ASL can mean Armenian Sign Language or
any sign language beginning with a word that starts with A. Instead,
the ISO coding system for different languages within one country is
like this:

Taking Canadian spoken languages as an example:

en-CA
fr-CA

or

CA-en
CA-fr

That is English spoken in Canada and French spoken in Canada. And if
you were trying to connect a signed language to those regions, then you
add the sgn to those, becoming:

sgn-CA-en
sgn-CA-fr

meaning the American Sign Language that is used in English-speaking
Canada, and French-Canadian Sign Language. The fr regional code is
representing the area in Canada where French is spoken...

Based on that system, the many signed languages of the United States
can also be represented. When the sgn is connected only to a country
code, and there is no regional code attached, that means the
naturally-evolved signed languages of the Deaf of the entire country:

sgn-US

But you can add regional codes, or even dialectal codes...I am not that
educated to the details, but if your Indian Language you mention is
specific to an area or group, then an ending can be attached to show
that it is not the same as ASL, which is sgn-US, but that it is in the
US none-the-less.

If you go to this web page

http://www.evertype.com/standards/iso639/sgn.html

and scroll down you will see some pretty amazing dialects or languages
in the US...For example, there are the codes for:

sgn-US-ma.....Martha's Vineyard Sign Language
sgn-CA-nu......Eskimo Sign Language in northern Canada
sgn-US-sd.....Plains Talk Indian Sign Language in South Dakota...

sgn-eng-US....this one is the way they approved doing invented signed
languages, such as Signed English in the US
sgn-eng-GB...Signed English in Great Britain

So there seems to be a code for everything already! Only 15 have been
registered with the ISO however...through our DAC...

Val ;-)