[sw-l] First European SignWriting Symposium 2005

Tue Apr 12 15:05:16 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 12, 2005

ANNOUNCING...

The First European
SignWriting Symposium 2005
Het Eerste Europese GebarenSchrift Symposium 2005

Brussels, Belgium, July 21-22
European SignWriters Unite!

Visit Symposium Web page:
http://www.SignWriting.org/symposium/2005

Download PDF Flyer About Symposium
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs3/sw0225-SW-Symposium-2005.pdf

Here is information:

1. When?
July 21-22, 2005
First Session Begins 9:00am on July 21st

2. Where?
Brussels, Belgium
The Symposium will be held at:

  Pede
  Neerpedestraat 236
  1070 Anderlecht

  Anderlecht is near Brussels,
  and is a 10 minute drive from the
  Kasterlinden School for the Deaf

3. Why?
European SignWriters Unite!
A lot of teachers and developers in Europe have discovered SignWriting
and feel the need to share their questions and experiences with others.
How do we use SignWriting in education? Which computer programs do I
need? Why are SignSpellings important? There are a lot of questions
about SignWriting, and it's time an organization spreads information
and gives SignWriting the recognition it deserves!

4. How much?
FREE!
Hotel accomodation, food and possible interpreters will be at your own
expense.

5. Who Can Attend?
Limited to 30 Participants
The Symposium space is donated to us by the Kasterlinden School. The
school has requested no more than 30 participants. So SignWriting users
should sign up quickly!

We will do our best to find room for you....
Are you a teacher who uses SignWriting? Or have you made amazing
discoveries or developed fantastic software for SignWriting? In other
words, if you feel you can contribute to this symposium or you are
struggling with the same questions written above, contact us, and we
will try to make room for you!

6. Hotels
Hotels near Brussels
Look for hotels to make reservations yourself:
http://www.brussels-hotels.com

If you wish to stay close to the place where the Symposium is held, try
to find a hotel in or near Anderlecht.

7. Big Celebration July 21st!
This year Belgium is celebrating its 175th birthday! The Belgian
Independence Day is the 21st of July. And the 21st is also the first
day of our First European SignWriting Symposium!

So we will celebrate this by being able to attend a GREAT spectacular
event in Brussels on the evening of July 21st together!

For those who wish to know more about the history of Belgium, there is
an exhibition in Brussels about the Belgian struggle for independence,
and how Belgium became a country 175 years ago. And on the web, you can
also find information in English, Dutch, German and French on these
websites:

http://www.expo-madeinbelgium.be/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Belgium

8. Registration
How to Register for Symposium

Write to:
Kathleen Heylen and Sara Geudens
katjesaar at hotmail.com

  Send us an email message, and answer these questions:

1. What is your current occupation or study?
2. What are your reasons for wanting to attend the symposium?
3. What are you more interested in: SignWriting for Deaf Education, or
SignWriting software development?
4. Are you hearing or Deaf? If you are hearing, do you understand
English very well, well, or not so well?

9. Organizing Committee

Kathleen Heylen and  Sara Geudens
katjesaar at hotmail.com

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa