[sw-l] LESSON...Finger Trills

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 14 17:01:53 UTC 2005

Here is an example from Brazilian sign language where there is both a "trill" and a movement.

  mundo (world, Earth)
Is this correct?  Both hands trill to a closed position starting with the little finger while swirling around each other.

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
April 14, 2005

Anne-Claude Pr�laz Girod wrote:
> just wonder why you place the "5-hand" underneath... the open-close
> symbols??? any rule for that?

Yes. There are rules. When fingers open or close one at a time, in
sequence, we call those Finger Trills...The symbol with the dots
connected with an arrow does not show movement of the hand. It shows
which finger opens first, second, third etc...So it has to be placed
over the handshape to show which finger starts the Trill...

Here is an example taken from our E-Lessons on the web. The first sign
shows that the Index Finger starts the Finger Trill ...it goes like
this.... Index opens, then middle finger opens, then ring finger opens,
then baby finger opens, finishing in the open 4 handshape.

The second sign does not show a Trill. It shows a gradual equal opening
from the first handshape to the 4 handshape...continued next message