[sw-l] ITALY QUESTION...Top View or Front View?

Wed Apr 27 00:05:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 26, 2005

QUESTION...Top View or Front View of Hands?
Either are correct, but one SignSpelling usually becomes the standard
way of writing a sign. How does this happen? Several SignSpellings for
the same sign are listed in dictionaries, such as SignPuddle, and then
after awhile, people choose one SignSpelling more than the others...

Here is an example. It is the sign for MY in our ASL SignPuddle
Dictionary. Spelling number 6 is used more than spelling number 5. Why?
Because it feels better. When we touch our chest with our palm, we
THINK palm of hand, even though, when we look down, we see the side of
the hand...the truth is that signers do not look down at their hands as
much as they FEEL a feeling...and the spelling tends to mirror
that...more next message...