[sw-l] ITALY QUESTION...Top View or Front View?

Barbara Pennacchi barbara.pennacchi at ISTC.CNR.IT
Wed Apr 27 16:15:45 UTC 2005

On 27.04.05 17:24, Valerie Sutton wrote:

>> So far, the whole manual explained all signs from the receptive point
>> of view and, implicitly, from the "front" view. The "top view" is, if
>> I've understood correctly, a relatively recent addition to SignWriting
>> and (IMHO) a good one, since it shows easily the finer details of
>> neutral space usage. However, I was under the impression that "front
>> view" was the default way of writing and that both symbols were equally
>> correct within this point of view.
>
> Ok. It does get confusing!
>
> First, I believe you meant from the Expressive View in your paragraph
> above. We teach the entire Lessons in SignWriting Textbook from the
> Expressive View, and the last chapter talks about the Receptive View....

Val, amend that, amend ALL that: I'm really suffering from a drop of
caffeine levels in my bloodstream :-)

What I really meant is "expressive" view!!! not receptive, sorry :-) I got
the terms mixed up. But you're not alone: most people get lost easily when
I mix up left and right directions. :P

> So the Expressive and Receptive Viewpoints are referring to the ENTIRE
> SignWriting document...the overall viewpoint taken...
>
> But when I talked about Front View and Top View...I was referring to
> viewpoints on individual symbols...When we discuss symbols we are always
> assuming that we are in the EXPRESSIVE view in general...but when you
> are in the Expressive View, you can choose to see individual handshapes
> or arrows parallel to the Front Wall, or parallel to the Floor...so we
> see symbols related to planes in space, and planes give a specific
> viewpoint on individual symbols...

Ok, this reminds me that someone proposed also to match handshape's
symbols with their arrows in such a way that, if the B handshape (as shown
in my earlier example) moves forward in front of us, we'd use the first
symbol along with the corresponding arrow, while if the hand moves
vertically (think of the B handshape as a classifier for a door or a
guillotine), we'd use the other handshape symbol).

What do you think?

Now I don't have ANY time to show you the actual signs, I hope what I said
is clear enough to have your opinion. If not, please wait tomorrow, when
I'll be back and ready to open SignPuddle (my wrist is already cringing in
fear :P).

> What does IMHO mean?

In My Humble Opinion ;)

| Barbara Pennacchi               barbara.pennacchi (at) istc.cnr.it |
|                 Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche                 |
|         Istituto di Scienze e Tecnologie della Cognizione          |
|                  V.le Marx 15, 00137 Roma, Italia                  |
|                      http://www.istc.cnr.it/                       |