[sw-l] SignSpelling Sequence

Fri Apr 29 17:54:15 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 29, 2005

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> If I was trying to find a sign in a dictionary, I would start looking
> under
> the while palms.  If I couldn't find it there, I would look for
> possible
> symbol synonyms.  I guess a good dictionary would have the sign under
> both
> so it is easier to find by IMWA symbol search and sort.

Yes...Each spelling has a SignSpelling sequence, which states which
symbol comes first, second, third in the sign.

I just put those two spellings into SignSpelling sequence in SignBank.
Please see attached diagram. Once I have established the SignSpelling
Sequence, then those two signs are sorted by Sign-Symbol-Sequence,
which will automatically place the sign that starts with the white palm
first, and the sign that starts with the overhead view second...