[sw-l] Are SignSpellings really synonyms?

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 15:05:40 UTC 2005

I think this is just a discussion about what to call these different ways of
writing the same - I agree that they are not synonym signs or words but they
are synonyme symbols = symbols that means the same and can be interchanged
in the same sign without chanign the meaning. Maybe we should call them
'equivalent' symbols, to avoid misunderstandings ... But hte fact that the
very same sign, with focus on the same particulars, can still be written in
different ways, needs to be looked into. With the Roam alphabet of our
western spoken/written languages, we can choose between capital letters and
ordinary letters. In some languages the capital letters are used a lot more
than they are in other languages (I don't know if German still uses capital
letters for all nouns, but at least I know that English uses a lot more
capital letters than Norwegian does). Still, if a message is written all
with capital letters or all without them, it is as understandable as before.
So I think this is a little like what we are facing here: which of two
perfectly usable symbols should be preferred in each instant. And that will
show with time and usage.

Ingvild