[sw-l] ANGLE HANDSHAPES RULES, Part 3

Sat Apr 30 18:21:03 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 30, 2005

Note: In the larger generic Movement Writing system, there are actually
10 palm facings. Over time we learned that SignWriting can be written
accurately with 6 palm facings...In the Parkhurst textbook, I believe
they created some palm facing rules based on the original 10 palm
facings. I feel those rules do not work well, with the complicated new
handshapes added to the IMWA. In time I will explain all this to Steve
and Dianne, who live in Madrid and are not on the SignWriting
List...There is no way they could know any of this before, and I
haven't even had a chance to tell them about SignPuddle yet! So I will
keep you informed once I get a chance to share this with them...They
are so busy...I will try to give them a phone call...smile...If nothing
more, they may find the new IMWA in SignPuddle something interesting to
study ;-)

Our international writing system is doing remarkably well. Imagine...we
are writing 30 signed languages now! And when that happens, there has
to be flexibility as the writing system solidifies...I believe we are
reaching that goal and I think it is rather exciting! smile...

So here are the rules, and I believe, in time, they will make sense to
everyone...At least I hope so!!  Feel free to ask questions...

RULES FOR ANGLE HANDSHAPES

Part 3: HOW TO APPLY THESE SIX PALM FACINGS TO THE ANGLE HAND

When writing a sign, ask these three questions....

1. What is the handshape?
2. What is the palm facing?
3. Where are the tips of the fingers directed?

Let us apply those questions to the sign for EAT, or FOOD, in ASL.

1. The handshape is an ANGLE HAND.
2. The palm of the hand faces my body, so it is white, or hollow.
3. The fingers tips are directed toward by mouth.

So I angle the fingers to be directed toward the mouth, since there is
meaning in the direction of the fingers...

...(see attached)...continued next message...