[sw-l] using SignWriting to index Stokoe's dictionary

Tue Apr 5 17:54:25 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 5, 2005

Kimberley A. Shaw wrote:
> I wonder if anybody has ever tried to translate Stokoe's notation into
> SW
> so that his famous dictionary of ASL can be more easily used ... ??
> Or, I bet one could make a Signwritten index to find the Stokoe signs
> by,
> probably easier than producing the ASL-English dictionary from scratch!
> Has anyone that you know of tried such a thing?

Not that I know of, Kimberly. But here is an idea. You visit our ASL
dictionary on the web...Go to:

American Sign Language Dictionary
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US/search.php

and check to see if we have all of the signs that are in the Stokoe
dictionary...If you can make a list of the signs that are in his
dictionary but not in the SignWriting dictionary yet, then you can add
the missing signs yourself in SignMaker on the web...

Make your own SignWriting signs and add to the dictionary yourself
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US/create.php

Be sure to use FireFox or Netscape....

That is a great project...Thank you!