[sw-l] your sign for the Pope

Wed Apr 6 20:45:00 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 6, 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> So the contact star goes "below" the hand on the page to show contact
> with the back of the hand to the chest?

That is where I put it, and I thought it was clear...But if you wanted
to put it above the hand, you would need to add a shoulder line to make
it clear that the contact on the chest was under the shoulders, and not
meant to contact the face...

> Okay, now, back to the "blowing a kiss".  If one wants to show the
> kissy face kissing the palm of the hand, how does one show this
> without covering up the face (thus not showing the mouth
> shape).  Would the contact star go on the mouth AND the hand to show
> the location of the kiss?

Yes. That sounds like a good solution ;-)

> Would this be the same way to show a mime of "putting on lipstick"
> with the forefinger?

I don't know that sign, but if your question is worried about how one
reads a sign that really has the hand in front of the face? Take a look
at the sign for CLOWN...the hand is written underneath, but because we
wrote the Nose Line, it is read that the hand is really in front of the
nose...it is our way of solving the problem...and people seem to read
it...for everyday use at least it works well...see attached...why else
would we write a Nose Line, if we didn't want the sign to relate to the
Nose?...