[sw-l] using SignWriting to index Stokoe's dictionary

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Thu Apr 7 14:55:58 UTC 2005

I second Kimberley's vote. Let's leave them in. We will get them
converted over.  I have already found some interesting differences
between spellings in the dictionary and the way we sign it here in
Iowa. For example, WHO.  If you look at the SWJava version and my
version, you will notice a minor difference of hand orientation.  What
is interesting is that when I showed Philip the SWJava version, he
mentally "converted" it to our way of signing it even though the
spelling was different than what we signed.  I thought that was very
interesting. That shows that, in some cases, we may find perhaps that
some spellings may become fixed but the "pronunciation" may still vary
from the actual printed version.  Who knows?

Anyhow, I am changing my SignPuddle usage pattern so that whenever I am
in the SignPuddle searching for signs, if I find a graphic only sign
that I want to use, then I take the time to re-enter it and then use
it.

Thanks,

Stuart