[sw-l] LESSON...Finger Trills

Thu Apr 14 14:38:55 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 14, 2005

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> just wonder why you place the "5-hand" underneath... the open-close
> symbols??? any rule for that?

Yes. There are rules. When fingers open or close one at a time, in
sequence, we call those Finger Trills...The symbol with the dots
connected with an arrow does not show movement of the hand. It shows
which finger opens first, second, third etc...So it has to be placed
over the handshape to show which finger starts the Trill...

Here is an example taken from our E-Lessons on the web. The first sign
shows that the Index Finger starts the Finger Trill ...it goes like
this.... Index opens, then middle finger opens, then ring finger opens,
then baby finger opens, finishing in the open 4 handshape.

The second sign does not show a Trill. It shows a gradual equal opening
from the first handshape to the 4 handshape...continued next message