[sw-l] UK...Article in Deaf Magazine needs comments

Thu Apr 28 18:45:30 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 28, 2005

Here are few side comments, Cathy...Not for you to add to your writing,
but just for everyone's information....about the other systems...but
don't put these comments in your article...not necessary!

Thanks for doing such a great job!! ;-)

> Cathy wrote....
> But then came SignWriting. While it is not the first system for
> recording movements (other systems being Stokoe, SignFont and
> HamNoSys)

----------

Historic Note from Val...
SignWriting is the second one historically in your listing of four
notation systems above....and the systems above do not all record
movements...SignWriting is the ONLY one that comes from a Movement
Notation system...the other three are called linguistically-based
notation systems...they are not real writing systems...they were
developed as a way to jot down linguistic components of signs, but they
are not designed to write Sign Language literature in sentences to be
used daily by Deaf children and adults...SignWriting is the only one
that is developed specifically to be a written form for signed
languages used on a daily basis...

Historically...this was the order of development...

1. Stokoe...late 1960s
2. Sutton SignWriting 1974 in Denmark (no connection to Stokoe at
all...I had never heard of Stokoe at the time of the SignWriting
invention)
3. HamNoSys...around 1988...(it was stimulated by SignWriting, which
was in Denmark next door to Germany...I know the history)
4. SignFont...1985 or so...was directly stimulated by SignWriting in
San Diego...long story but I was actually involved in the beginning
with the SignFont project...

So two systems followed SignWriting...HamNoSys and SignFont... and both
were stimulated by SignWriting in different ways...

And SignFont is not used much at all...Most SignFont users are now
using SignWriting...

Stefan asked in his recent message What is SignFont? It was a sad
time...SignWriting was used by a computer group here in San Diego, and
they hired me and my Deaf staff to work with them....but when they got
big-time funding from our US government, they decided to try to invent
their own writing system instead of using SignWriting...why? because
SignWriting was used by Deaf people and it was harder to program...so
they created their own system called SignFont, and I and our Deaf staff
left their project very upset...SignFont was not developed with Deaf
people..then later it was given to a linguist named Don Newkirk to
promote in the Deaf Community and for awhile it was an upsetting
annoyance to our Deaf staff....some of my Deaf staff were in tears over
it, because they loved SignWriting so much...but then in time it became
clear that SignFont was not a writing system that could be used on a
daily basis and it is not used by any group of deaf people that I know
of...SignWriting works because it evolved naturally after 1974, with
use by Deaf people themselves and teachers...because I chose to work
with Deaf people and made sure that their opinions became paramount and
were the only thing that mattered, really, SignWriting has really
spread because Deaf people used it...and the Stokoe system, and
HamNoSys are not used as for writing Sign Literature...those two
systems are NOT movement notation systems...they are linguistically
based notation systems useful for linguistic research...

OK...Enough on other systems!! smile...Val ;-)

----------

> SignWriting has proved the most popular, partly due to the fact that
> it is not specific to any one sign language; it can be used by sign
> languages all over the world.
> SignWriting makes it possible to have books, newspapers, magazines,
> dictionaries, and literature written in signs. It can be used to teach
> signs and signed language grammar to beginning signers, or it can be
> used to teach other subjects, such as math, history, or English to
> skilled signers.
> While it was first established in 1974

I would say.....While it was first developed in 1974 in Denmark....

>  and began being used by American Sign Language users in 1981

..and was used in the Danish School System from 1982-1988, and in
Norway from 1988 on....