[sw-l] Some more questions...

Thu Apr 28 19:07:21 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 28, 2005

Cathy in the UK asked....
> I also havbe another question: What advice would you have for those
> who want to take up SignWriting? Can it be self-taught, or are you
> best to go to a class? Where would people be able to find a class?
> Once you start learning, how long does it take to learn?

I would suggest telling your readers to join the SignWriting List and
start asking questions! Here are the instructions:

TO JOIN THE SIGNWRITING LIST:

1. Go to:

http://majordomo.valenciacc.edu/cgi-bin/majordomo

2. Type in your email address....

3. Push the ALL button

4. Press GO...

5. Check SW-L

6. Press APPLY

----------------------------

Regarding how long it takes to learn SignWriting...

1. It takes a born-deaf child who uses Sign Language daily, perhaps a
couple of hours and they are reading fairly well.
2. Some signers start reading SignWriting at first glance.
3. Learning to write takes training, but learning to read SignWriting
is much faster than learning to read English for most people...
4. It can be self-taught from book or on the internet with the lessons
on the web and on the SignWriting List.
5. Some Deaf students learn SignWriting daily in the classroom.
6. Some people take workshops, with teachers such as Stefan Woehrmann,
or Stuart Thiessen ;-)
7. No matter what the method, SignWriting is easier to learn, than to
learn to read and write most spoken languages...

Having said that, it still takes the will to learn...What holds people
back from learning?

Fear of something new.
Or frustrations with computer programs...smile...

We are trying to solve both!!

Advice to your readers on how to learn?...

Contact us and ask us where teachers are, classrooms are, and others
are, who know SignWriting near them...

In the UK...maybe classes could be established...if they know of an
interested college or classroom...it could be setup, if people contact
us for the free materials...