AW: [sw-l] GERMANY Index on Angle Handshape

Sat Apr 30 14:32:07 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 30, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I tried to construct my graphics with SignPuddle and copied the signs
> into this message! Hope you can see them?
> Well following the idea – write what you see ---
> it looks somehow weird either way – what do you think ?
> Angle Base but index  finger up

Oh yes! I can see them. The signs look wonderful when you use
SignPuddle. Thank you for using SignPuddle during your online
communication with me...that is helpful for everyone, because we can
refer to your German Sign Language SignPuddle while we discuss a
topic...

Now, regarding these weird handshapes...and I agree completely...they
look weird no matter what we do...I would definitely choose your first
example in the attached diagram (a)...and yes....I do have rules as to
why....but they are not the same as Steve Parkhurst's old
rules...Steve's old rules were based on another era, when we didn't
have as many handshapes...now in the IMWA we really have no choice but
to follow the rules that I am using now...since some of the new
handshapes in the IMWA are so complex, that we have less flexibility
now, because handshapes can be mis-read if we are not careful...

So in my next message, I will list the rules for you....smile...and I
will be also answering other messages today, including some from
German-Switzerland from Carmen Steiner, who has been adding signs to
their Swiss-German SignPuddle too...smile...I know you know
Carmen...smile...Val ;-)