Elliptical circle vs. True circle

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Aug 1 03:48:45 UTC 2005

I think at least on the research level, ASL makes that distinction so
we probably need some convention of writing it whether it is a symbol
or an agreed combination of symbols so we know to read that as an
ellipse. It may be that with everyday writing, some convention will
happen that will make the distinction.  But for other research purposes
outside of ASL or until the language has a chance to see what it really
needs or not, having something that means an ellipse would be helpful.
If the convention is using a combination of curved arrows, that is
fine.  I just wanted to be sure that what I write would make sense.
Charles' FLY ON AND ON does a pretty good job of capturing the movement
for the "D" shape.  I suspect the D shape sometimes changes to an
ellipse for an easier movement that is different from a circle.  An
example would be the sign SICK, but instead of just contact with the
forehead, you have a ellipse that goes down and forward then up and
back. That movement repeats 2 or 3 times. The ellipse will be squashed
vertically in this example.  Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Stuart