ESWS - European SW Symposium

Wed Aug 3 18:10:58 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 3, 2005

Hello Geoffrey!
Thank you for this excellent report. You are the first person to post
a report about the SignWriting Symposium in Brussels. Others have
sent me reports privately, and telephoned me, which is greatly
appreciated! I am still working on creating a web page for their
information, but I am happy to see someone posting directly to the
SignWriting List and I hope others will do the same...smile...lots of
people are really curious about what happened!

And welcome to the SignWriting List. I feel quite honored to have you
on our List. The Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) has been
influential in the history of SignWriting, thanks to Al Bickford,
Steve and Dianne Parkhurst (Mexico and Spain), Karla and Mike Hurst
(Mexico), Hope Hurlbut (Malaysia) and others...And now I understand
from Stuart Thiessen that you have been discussing a possible project
on SignWriting in Unicode?...I know that it is ony a discussion, and
nothing is definite, but I want to thank you for even considering it!

Not all members of the SW List write SignWriting, but many are
interested in the idea, that signed languages can now be written
languages, so your contributions are important to us! You have quite
a task, to coordinate working with signed languages from Europe, the
former Soviet Union and parts of Africa and west Asia...wow...that is
a very big area of the world!

Have you looked at our SignPuddle page? We have setup areas for 39
countries, so they can add signs to their online dictionaries. And
this summer, students at SIL in North Dakota have been adding signs
to the Mexican SignPuddle...which made me very happy!! grin...

SignWriting in Mexico
http://www.SignWriting.org/mexico

You will see SIL mentioned on the above web page...

This page may be of interest...

Who Uses SignWriting/
http://www.SignWriting.org/about/who

Notice some new countries, like Ethiopia, Malaysia, Czech Republic,
Poland, Philippines and so forth...smile...No Russia yet!

Val ;-)