Stylistics - Hands in other Planes

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Fri Aug 5 10:21:20 UTC 2005

Hello again, List!

Here are some suggestions for handwriting in the floor plane using the
cursive system for handshapes I suggested.

There are two possible ways.

One is to simply skip the base knuckle when writing in the floor plane
by lifting the pen at the knuckle in order to detach the fingers. This
way si the most like "printed" SignWriting.

Another is to mark the wrist double to show the floor plane or single to
show the intermediate diagonal plane The diagonal plane might get
confused with the ordinary wrist mark but as people don't seem to bother
with the diagonal plane in practice perhaps it doesn't matter.

I suppose choosing between the two styles would just be a matter of what
you like best.

Sandy