NORTHERN IRELAND Writing Dublin signs

Fri Aug 5 18:19:15 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 5, 2005

Hello Everyone and Shane!
Your messages are amazing, Shane. You know so much about these signed
language variations. Thank you for sharing this with us! I enjoyed
reading your message below...;-)

We need Deaf people to write these signs....Writing is power, because
it is read by generations to come...

I would like to ask a favor. Can you write some of these variants in
SignWriting, in the Northern Ireland SignPuddle, or the Ireland
SignPuddle, and then share them with us?...It would help us to
imagine the differences. Word descriptions are no good.

Maybe the NorthernIreland SignPuddle should have two entries of
everything...the Female and Male variants?...That is up to you...but
it is something to discuss with others...

I know you already entered a few signs before...there are 11 signs in
there right now. Go to:

http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-NorthernIreland

and click on SignMaker icon. Then create new signs...

To learn the SW symbols....

Click here for a short lessons document:
http://signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0008-About-SignWriting.pdf

Start on the second page and start going through the lessons...they
will give you immediate understanding of some of the symbols...

Hearing people need Deaf people to write their native signed
languages, so hearing people can learn them! The power will shift to
the Deaf Community, if written NISL becomes widespread in the Deaf
Community...

It is getting started that is the hardest...Maybe you can find a co-
worker from Northern Ireland to share the input of signs into
SignPuddle?

I am here to help anytime...so start asking questions...smile...

Val ;-)

---------------------------------

On Aug 5, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:

> [...]
>
> Remember, there were separate deaf clubs - one for deaf men, one
> for deaf
> women - in Dublin - they started to "integrate" in the 1950s or
> 1960s I
> think - maybe earlier - and until the 1950s, deaf people down South
> were
> told NOT to marry each other - just marrying outside the deaf
> community
> (which is really stupid)
>
> The most awful thing is that the female variant is very close to
> the LSF
> that was brought over from Caen, France - yet they went and changed
> the male
> variant - and took out or amended the breast-touching signs from
> the female
> variant - that way the girls won't touch their breasts when they
> sign (which
> is a bit stupid cos fluent signers hardly touch their breasts in
> any sign
> language) - and they tried to change the system - that way men
> won't mouth a
> lot - yet women will mouth a lot and rely heavily on lip-reading to
> understand each other. And even more, the Dominican Sisters and the
> Christian Brothers fought like mad against REAL ISL saying that
> it’s a bad
> language, that everyone MUST use GOOD ENGLISH - they promoted
> Signed English
> HEAVILY in the schools and OUTSIDE the schools (they also ran the deaf
> community - the deaf clubs, the deaf churches, the deaf retreats and
> everything - if youre from Cabra, don’t be surprised if a Christian
> Brother
> or a Dominican Sister turns up at your father's funeral and try and
> take
> over organising your father's funeral - that’s what theyre so used
> to!)
>
> Dr Lorraine Leeson and Carmel Grehan at Dublin's Centre for Deaf
> Studies are
> working hard on Women's Signs, recording the signs etc - despite
> the attacks
> from some male deaf leaders saying that womens signs are wrong,
> that they
> used the right signs at the boys' school etc - I do get attacked
> for using
> some womens' signs now and then - and theres a big language war in
> Dublin -
> Anglo-ISL (signed english) vs ISL etc.
>
> That's Dublin for you - we don’t have that complication up North in
> Belfast
> ;) despite the fact that our NISL consists of 3 different sign
> languages:
> ASL, ISL (male and female) and BSL!
>
> When I first learned ISL, it was of the female variant - but
> gradually I
> became "male" in my ISL - but with some female signs - I was told
> that I
> sign like a woman in me ISL - yet I sign like a man in my NISL (!)

>>> if one is a sign linguist in Europe, getting to know LSF (French