Signs for FUN and THE...ASL? ;-)

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Mon Aug 15 20:16:14 UTC 2005

Linguistically, the word "the" fits in the category of words called
determiners. In English, it is called the definite article.  Some
languages have them and some languages do not.  There is some debate
about whether or not ASL really has determiners or not.  Sometimes the
index finger pointing at a specific object or location can sometimes be
understood like the word "the" in English.  For example,