PHILIPPINES SignPuddle Entries

Fri Aug 5 18:49:48 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 5, 2005

> Nana Dumitra wrote:
> From the e-mail that you wrote to Hope I realized that we have kind
> of a similar problem: Or files so far are also in SW DOS 4.4. Just
> today we made a contract with a provider here and now (I think we
> can use it starting tonight) we will have unlimited internet
> access. So I want to start using the dictionary for Filipino Sign
> Language in SignPuddle. The only thing that bothered me so far is
> that it seemed such a hassle to enter all our signs again. Did I
> understand correctly that there might be a possibility of sending
> you our DOS files and you could somehow put them into our
> SignPuddle? If that is right, could you please tell me how to get
> the dictionary files from DOS into an e-mail that I could send to
> you and what else I need to do (if anything?). It would be a big
> help for us if we just had to enter the new signs and not those
> that we put into the DOS so far (there are about 440 signs). Steve
> and Dianne sent us their SW Lessons in English and we started to
> adapt them for the Philippines – this is really a great tool, the
> more we get into it the more we are impressed at how easy it makes
> teaching SW and how everything builds on something else. I think
> SignPuddle will also be a big help for adapting this book, since it
> lets us search by symbols, is that right?

--------------------

Hello Nana!
Bravo! I am so glad you have a better internet connection! Unlimited
access is great. Do you know if you have broadband? Broadband, as you
know, is a faster connection than dial-up modem....Anyway, no matter
what, this is great news ;-)

You will not regret having better internet access. I am glad it is
available in your area...

Now, regarding transferring your DOS files. Although technically it
could be done, there is a big problem with it. Anything that is not
entered directly into SignPuddle from the beginning, cannot be sorted
by symbols, or copied, pasted, edited etc. In other words, the new
SignPuddle , with all its modern features, can only give you those
new features, if you enter the signs from the beginning, directly
into SignPuddle. So if you want to sort dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-
Sequence later, then you need to enter them one by one into
SignPuddle now, I am sorry to say...

And we have an awful mess in our ASL SignPuddle, because some of the
signs were entered from the beginning and some were pasted in as
graphics from the old DOS dictionary, and those old DOS signs cannot
be sorted or edited, so we are slowly trying to re-enter them one by
one ourselves...

In the long run, you will be happy not to have the old DOS signs in
there... Val ;-)