sign for "Tokyo"

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Wed Aug 10 00:03:31 UTC 2005

It was funny - Stef asked us at the EWSO workshop to write down the sign for
Tokyo - deaf participants disagreed with him over his sign for "Tokyo" and
it almost became a heated debate (I think Stef was not familiar with this
pericular part of visualic (sign language) culture where everyone ll argue
non-stop about the right signs for places etc.

Thankfully there were two Japaneses in the other room so I had to dash to
them and asked them their actual sign - and it turned out Stef was right
after all!!! (just because hes not deaf, many deafies are a bit prejudiced
about that sign but there are deafies out there who doesn’t sign very well!
Stef can sign better than them!)

:)

I still do prefer my sign for "Tokyo" cos i thought it is associated with
long towers Tokyo is famous for!

Shane