PHILIPPINES and NETHERLANDS

Shane Ó hEorpa oheorpa-s at ULSTER.AC.UK
Mon Aug 15 09:50:58 UTC 2005

Hey u

Trude Schermer, the director of the Dutch Sign Language Centre (NGC), was
saying that the preferred term is "Sign Language of the Netherlands" but I
told her most sign linguists said either Dutch Sign Language or NGT - with
the trend going on in the EU, we tend to use the original abbreviations -
for instance, how will we differ between Greek and German if we call it GSL
for both?

German = DGS for instance

Greek = ENG I think - let me double check - yeah its ENG

French = LSF

Flanders = VGT

So on

We usually use the term "NGT" when talking about Dutch Sign Language (or
Sign Language of the Netherlands)

Shane