AW: [sw-l] email lessons

Sun Aug 21 17:30:03 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie and list -

no (smile) it is not possible to learn German words through the Mundbilder
in GebaerdenSchrift. There are many reasons for that. The most important
reason is that there is no distinct match between a given sound of German
langauge and a  specific Mundbild in GebaerdenSchrift.

But there is another notation system called "Mundbildschrift" -

The difference between these two system is somewhat complicated.

In my "Handbuch zur GebaerdenSchrift" there is a whole chapter only about
this aspect.

Since SL does not care about sound and voice - but depends on looking at the
hands, body    a n d  mouth these "Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift" just
give some impressions about the voiceless  (silent) mouth movements while
somebody is performing a sign.

A good example may be the video of "skola" we discussed in detail - smile.

Just look at the mouth of the performer.

Well - the "internal point of view" tells the scribe that this sign stems
from Czech SL so he is going to move his lipse like saying the word "SH" "C"
"O - like in all"  "L" and "A"

In fact you can't identify all these distinct "stills" and of course -
Charles - it has something to do with your knowledge in before -

But nevertheless it is up to the skilled SignWriting scribe to accept a
performance just as it is - or to neglect or to suppress some of the
information that is offered.

Contrary to that the "Mundbildschrift" is a system that supports
articulation. But this is not a question most people of the SW - list are
interested in. It is not a matter of SW but much more a typical educational
matter if teacher try to support deaf children to improve articulation. If
so - "Mundbildschrift" turns ot to become a wonderful support.

Stefan ;-)