Surface symbols

Thu Dec 15 15:59:48 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
December 15, 2005

> Philippe in Iowa, USA, wrote:
> I noticed the arrow seems not right since I don’t move my hand
> down for English.  I move my hand toward to myself.  The first
> English spelling with correct arrow symbol is correct.  Make sense?

Hi Philip!
Great to get your feedback. Yes. You agree with our Deaf DAC
members...they wrote the first two signs in the attached
diagram...the second sign is another variation...it shows the right
hand moving down twice onto the left hand...I have seen that
variation in some parts of the US...but you are right that the first
one seems to be the most commonly used...moving back towards the chest

Cherie comes from Georgia...maybe in Georgia they move down with both
hands? smile...There are different ways that signs are signed...but
usually one writing starts to become the standard way to write the
sign...For right now, we are writing different variations and placing
them in the SignPuddle...that way we can discuss the different
variations easily on the SignWriting List...

Have you ever seen the second variation?