USA... Sign for ENGLISH

Thu Dec 15 20:13:02 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
December 15, 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I think there is a spelling error here though, Valerie. I suspect
> the variation being discussed is where the right hand (dominant
> hand) touches the back of the left hand (non-dominant hand) twice
> with somewhat of a grasping or touch motion. I haven't seen a
> variation of English where both hands actually move up and down
> while being grasped.

Hello Stuart -
Glad you wrote. Just want to tell you I have not forgotten your need
to write the various versions of the sign for Hey...that will come
shortly...

Regarding the two signs that our DAC members wrote years ago (they
are not my signs!)...neither of those signs have movement up and down
evenly...as you can see by the attached...The second one is down
twice...the emphasis is on the down-down...it actually slaps the top
of the left hand almost...I believe that was Kathy Say's sign...I can
write to ask her...For me to throw out a sign that a Deaf person
entered...I don't think I have that right, but I can write to her to
discuss it with her...smile...it is not my sign, but Cherie just said
she has seen that sign too...maybe it needs a Strike Symbol...we can
try to find a videoclip of that variation someday and make a final
decision later...smile...Please feel free to enter your own version
of ENGLISH in SignPuddle and that way we can compare later ;-))