[sw-l] Reading Diacritics in SignMail program...

Wed Feb 2 22:11:14 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 2, 2005

>> use UTF-8 (the international character encoding).
>> regards, Signuno.

Dear SW List, Stephen, Signuno, Lucy...and so many others...

Both Stephen and I are aware that international character encoding must
be built into all of the Sign Puddle programs...but Stephen did not
realize this until after the first version of Sign Puddle was released.
Now, I believe, it will have to be re-built to accomodate the UTF-8,
which Signuno correctly mentions above...We are hoping to do a re-build
of SignPuddle when we coordinate it with the SignBank program later
this year...so for now, until that happens, we will have to live with
the situation as it is.

So for now, if you do not want to send email in SignWriting, then you
can add the diacritics and special symbols, and they will show up in
the dictionary listings...it is only when you are using glosses in the
SignTranslate and SignMail programs, that this issues exists...

Anyway, later this year it will be fixed!

Thanks for your patience and enjoy SignPuddle!